Our Bedford, MA facility has an opening for a Group Leader to lead our Protein Expression Core. The successful candidate will be a proven leader and an individual who can develop and manage the Protein Expression team on projects involving fermentation/bacterial, baculoviral/insect cell and mammalian protein expression systems in support of early discovery to early development/structural studies. Candidates must have strong protein expression and protein engineering skills using different expression systems coupled with an understanding of cell engineering, cell biology and molecular biology. This position will have the opportunity to make a significant scientific contribution to drug discovery projects. Communication will be key within the Core and across multiple disciplines.
- Work collaboratively with other disciplines to meet aggressive project deliverables and timelines and ensure projects are completed with a high degree of accuracy and production does not falter; determine courses of action and troubleshoot when there are issues with experiments;
- Manage, mentor and support career development of Protein Expression staff to maximize individual and team performance. Engage in laboratory work when appropriate and set the scientific standards within the Core. Assist with transition to a 24/7 operational schedule.
- Identify, evaluate, develop and integrate new protein expression-related technologies; challenge and mentor team members to perform more advanced experiments, analysis, troubleshooting.
- Review documents including technical reports, SOPs, SWPs, and method validation and transfer protocols and reports. Update and author documents as necessary.
- Identify process deviations, prepare technical reports and propose comprehensive process solutions, improvements and procedural changes to improve business process performance, process performance, productivity and efficiency. Present findings to group and clients.
- Use Project Management tools and techniques to plan and track multiple operations.
- Keep abreast of the newest developments/technologies; develop strategy and business plans for the implementation of appropriate platform technologies to improve infrastructure and throughput of media and process development, including high throughput cell culture systems.
Education and Experience:
- MS or PhD in Biochemical Engineering, Cell Biology or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of research experience in industry with strong track record in leadership and people management experience to motivate and maintain high performance from team
- Experience and working knowledge of transient expression of proteins in mammalian (HEK, CHO) and baculovirus, E.coli, yeast fermentations and their subsequent characterization
- Experience necessary to manage the Protein Expression Core including fermentation/bacterial, baculoviral/insect cell, and mammalian protein expression systems
- Strong experience expressing secreted, soluble and membrane proteins on both the small and large scale (10L+)
- Ability to develop methods for high yield expression of novel target proteins and the ability to perform and design complex experiments
- Ability to plan tasks in the pipeline and be able to perform under aggressive delivery timelines
Excellent attention to detail as well as strong verbal and written comm